TPMGC Rain Policy Reminder
To all TPMGC members, given the recent flurry of rainy days, with some of those interrupting our play, it seems appropriate to “remind” all members of our CLUB’S RAIN POLICY. The following is an excerpt from our policy…full policy on the website: Inclement Weather Cancellation Policy
- It is the policy that all tournaments will be played as long as the course is open, even if carts are limited to cart paths only. Any cancellation or modification of a tournament due to extraordinary weather conditions will be communicated as soon as a decision is reached. Members should monitor their emails the night before and the day of the tournament to determine the status. Members failing to show will be assessed a No Show or Late Cancellation Penalty, to be determined by the committee
- Tournaments held at Torrey Pines are always played unless the course managers determine that the course is closed.
- If the course is open, but it is raining, then the Tournament Chairs shall make a determination on whether to cancel. Cancelling would only be done if the course agrees not to penalize the club.
- If the tournament is not cancelled, but heavy rains occur during the tournament, the Tournament Chairs can suspend tournament play. No tournament fees shall be collected, but green fees will not be refunded unless the course agrees.
The important point to bear in mind is that any tournament cancellation can only be done with the concurrence of the course we are playing. Not all courses will agree to our cancellation with no penalty for those that don’t show. Thus our policy reflects the fact that “we play unless we are told not to”. If you have questions please submit to any board member or via our Website Contact Page.
Tournament Awards for Events Conducted at Torrey Pines
Beginning Sept 2022, awards for tournaments conducted at Torrey Pines (except for skins) are transferred to the Torrey Pines pro shop and credited to a member account ledger maintained by the pro shop. When a member wins a Torrey South/North tournament award, his winnings are first credited to his website account then immediately debited. The following is a screenshot of a member account for which a Torrey tournament award has been added then subtracted (the purpose of recording the transaction on our website is so that each member has a website record of all tournament winnings including those conducted at Torrey Pines… note that the balance before/after the transaction is the same):
Deposits to one’s website account are made automatically by winning an away tournament award, a skins award at a Torrey Pines tournament, or funds may be added manually via website PayPal/credit card deposit. Manual deposits are made on website at MY ACCOUNT/ADD FUNDS.
Torrey Pro Shop funds can be used for any soft goods purchased including the new TPMGC shirts and hats as well as Torrey golf carts ($32 discounted rate anytime, not just tournament days!) and Torrey driving range. You must have funds in your Pro Shop account to qualify for the $32 discounted cart on non-tournament days.
Manual transfer of website member account funds to your Torrey pro shop account may be made via our website at MY ACCOUNT/CERTIFICATES. Here’s a screenshot of the webpage for transfer of funds to Torrey pro shop:
Rain Today Gone Tomorrow
|Rain on tournament day is a rarity for our Torrey tournaments. But it struck on Wednesday (Mar 1st). Wet weather caused a cancellation of the first day of our 2-day tournament scheduled for Mar 1/2. Here’s a photo of some club members who happily “played in the rain” just for the fun of it.|
May 17 2022 General Club Meeting
Well over 100 club members attended our club meeting at Torrey Pines Golf Range. Before the meeting we had a putting contest with Roger White winning the big bucks among 68 contestants who paid a $3 entry fee. But it wasn’t money wasted since entry included a free Torrey logo golf ball. Our club prez Larry Prosi conducted the meeting and reports from board members detailed status of current issues. In between club business, Bob Hood conducted a raffle of $1000 of merchandise which included certificates for free rounds for local golf courses and merchandise from the Torrey Pro Shop including items with our TPMGC club logo, which will soon be available for purchase on our website.
Ted Cochrane, club member and business owner, graciously supplied pizza for our meeting. Pizza was freshly prepared, plentiful, and absolutely delicious. Wheat and Water. Great pizza!
See their website at Wheat and Water.
Pace-of-Play Policy Update May 15, 2022
A new pace-of-play policy has been adopted by our TPMGC Board of Directors. The new policy will be effective on June 1, 2022. See website Pace-of-Play Policy for details —–>>>>
Important Tournament Rules Announcement:
The tournament committee has recently seen two activities that violate the rules of golf and needs to stop immediately.
· Players must putt out. There are no “gimmie” putts. Even during COVID-19 restrictions you must hole out your putt. Not holing out will cause disqualification from the event.
· Scores must be confirmed in Golf Genius no more than 15 minutes after the completion of your round. If it takes longer than 15 minutes, or a discrepancy in scoring is noted, you need to contact the Tournament Coordinator (TC) to inform them of the change. Changing a score in Golf Genius after the 15-minute period without TC knowledge will subject you to disqualification or suspension.
We are aware that other groups may allow one or more of these practices but that’s not Torrey Pines Men’s Golf Club. The only fair way to play is for everyone to play by the established rules.
One additional Comment – Your finish time is now recorded at completion of round by GG. The Club’s current Pace of Play standard is “to finish no more than 15 minutes behind the group in front and take no more than 4 hours and 20 minutes to complete the round.”. Any group exceeding these standards will be contacted by the TC for an explanation.
Scorekeeping During Club Tournaments Using Golf Genius (GG)
The GG cell phone app replaces scorecards as the official record of your official tournament score. Years ago, when we used printed scorecards, once you signed your card and left the golf course, you could not change it. Your score was final. The same is true with GG. After completing your round, all members of the foursome should immediately verify their scores on each hole and total scores are correct. The time you enter your final scores is your official finish time and is used to track pace of play. If you find errors in your GG scores on your cell phone, you may take time to correct the scores. This should take no more than 15 minutes. Once you have left the golf course, your scores cannot be changed. If you failed to enter your score for one or more holes, you will be DQ’d. If you run into any technical problems with entering your scores, you must immediately contact the Tournament Coordinator or another Board Member and explain the problem.
It is important that each golfer read all emails from the Tournament Coordinators as they can contain important information about the tournament you are about to play in including items such as lift, clean and place (or lack thereof).
If you receive a tournament email, that means you signed up for the tournament. If you did not intend to sign up or if someone else signed you, up don’t ignore these emails. Cancel your entry.
Share Your Contact Information with Other Members
Our new website has several features that make it a vast improvement over our former website. One of them is the opportunity for members to better communicate with other members via email or phone.
Each member has the choice of making his contact information visible to other club members. The default setting for each member is that your email address and phone # is NOT visible to other members. To make it visible, follow these instructions:
- Log on
- Go to “My Account”
- Click “Edit Info”. This is where you can indicate your cart preference and check the box that shares your email address and phone number with other members
To find contact info for other members, go to Club Info and Membership Roster to look up the member. Click on the member you are looking for and if he has decided to make his email/phone visible, you will be able to contact him directly.
City Resident Cards
You may only renew your card online. If you arrive at the golf course with an expired card, they will not renew it. You will have to pay the non-resident fee. Then once you renew your card, you will be able to request a refund for the difference between the resident and non-resident rate.